If you follow Rockland Ave., you will find the beautiful and historic 1800s neighborhood of Rockland centered around Craigdarroch Castle and Government House.
The elegant neighborhood of Rockland lives up to it’s name and then some. As the streets become more narrow, you will notice that the sidewalks are bordered by hand-placed stonework and rock walls. Many of the properties in the area are notable for their heritage architecture, elaborate fencing, and lush gardenscapes.
Things to do around Rockland
If you have a camera and like to take beautiful photos you could spend days just walking around the area snapping images of cobble drives and stonework. As a primarily residential area there aren’t a lot of commercial buildings but the few that exist do have events.
Visit Government House
Saturday, March 7th 10 am & 11 am
Volunteer tour guides outline the role and responsibilities of the Lieutenant Governor and share the fascinating history of this National Historic Site. An interactive map of the gardens is available.
Admission is free and no is booking required.
Craigdarroch Castle in Song
Sunday March 8th 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
Please Join us for an evening of music in celebration of the story of Craigdarroch Castle and Victoria’s heritage.
Tickets are $15.00 and a portion of the proceeds goes towards scholarships for student summer music programs.
Art Gallery of Greater Victoria : Drop-in Tours
Sat/Sun March 7th & 8th 2pm – 3pm
Come see BC’s largest art collection and the largest collection of amber and ivory carvings in North America. The drop-in tours are an excellent way to explore the gallery’s exhibits and learn about some of the art on display.
Admission is $13 and covers the cost of the tours.
Spring Events in Victoria BC
One of the highlights of living on Vancouver Island and having access to Victoria, the capital city of our great province, is the many events that are put on by local community organizers and businesses.
Have a look at just a few of the most interesting events in and around Victoria BC this spring!
Local Arts & Crafts
- Royal BC Museum – Kid’s Club Afternoon Exploration :
- February 18 & 19 | 4 – 5 pm – Macro Photography: Participants will learn how to use their cameras to look at our world up close..
- February 25 & 26 | 4 – 5 pm – Black and White: Time to get moody with the pictures. This session will discuss the importance of contrast and tone..
- Royal BC Museum: Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2014: Runs until April 6, 2015 – Celebrating 50 years of images, Wildlife Photographer of the Year showcases award-winning images that tell the astonishing stories…
- Greater Victoria Performing Arts Festival: April 7, 2015 until May 10, 2015 – Various venues throughout Victoria will be participating this year. Check the festival calendar for more details.
Community & Cultural Events
Food & Drink
- Dine Around & Stay in Town: February 20th – March 9th 2015 – Tickle your tastebuds and dive into Victoria’s culinary scene at over 60 participating restaurants.
- Victoria Beer Week: March 7th-15th – Victoria Beer Week is a nine day series of events highlighting a broad selection of BC craft breweries
- CULINAIRE – Victoria: March 19th, 2015 5:15pm – 10:15pm – Victoria’s Premier Food Tasting Experience; offers guests the opportunity to experience a selection of the most unique restaurants and purveyors of fine food and beverages…
Theater & Performances
- 18th Annual Uno Fest Victoria: May 8th-24th @ Intrepid Theatre Club – Bold theatre makers and fearless artists bringing their stories to the stage…
- The Belfry’s SPARK Festival 2015: March 10th – 22nd – With some of the country’s best theatre artists, we build, rehearse and create our plays in a renovated 19th century church in Fernwood – Victoria BC…
- B.C. Cadet Honour Band: Mar 17th, 7:30PM @ McPherson Playhouse Victoria – The 45-piece B.C. Cadet Honour Band is the pinnacle of achievement for cadet musicians…
Sports & Outdoors
- Swiftsure International Yacht Race: May 23rd-25th – A historic event that draws international attention and competition…
- World Rugby – Women’s Sevens Series: Apr 18th – 19th Langford B.C., Rugby Sevens is a fast-paced, exciting sport rapidly growing in popularity across Canada…
- Victoria Day Parade: May 18th 9am – 2pm Douglas St. Victoria B.C. – Come see all the floats parade through our historic city. Fireworks displays are common, especially on Monday night.
Don’t live in Victoria? Want to move?
Victoria is an incredible city to live and work in so it’s understandable to get a lot of inquiries about moving to Victoria, finding accommodations, and Victoria Real Estate.
When it comes to searching for real estate, especially in Victoria, there’s one name that stands above the rest for search traffic: Re/Max Realty.
Don’t take our word for it, here’s what Google shows us when you throw all the local Realty companies into a comparison of search traffic:
When RE/MAX says they are #1 and “Above the Crowd” they are not just making a play on words!
Searchers clearly trust RE/MAX and Geoff McLean is our local Victoria real estate expert. Geoff McLean has been one of the top realtors in Victoria, winning numerous awards, since 1990.
If you’re considering a move to Victoria you will find no better resource than RE/MAX Camosun, and working with experienced leaders like Geoff McLean and Jodi Baker.