Moving to Victoria BC?

As Featured On EzineArticles
There are many reasons why people might be moving to Victoria; among them is the simple desire to enjoy the great things that come with living in Victoria.  The quality of life offered to residents of this beautiful city is hard to match, even on a global scale.

It starts with that most basic of comfort issues – the climate.  The Greater Victoria area possesses, arguably, the best climate in Canada.  According to the Köppen climate classification Victoria is placed at the northernmost limits of the cool, dry-summer subtropical zone (Csb), or cool-summer Mediterranean climate due to its usually dry summers.  The Victoria Gonzales weather station reports that daily temperatures climb above 30 °C (86 °F) on average less than one day per year and sink below −2 °C (28 °F) on average only 6 nights per year.  Compare that to the rest of the country!

Beyond climatological bliss, Victoria has much to offer.  A stable economy leads many people to moving to Victoria for work. There are jobs related to tourism, government and related support jobs because Victoria is the capital of BC, and a booming tech sector.

CFB Esquimalt offers opportunities both for military and industries that support and supply the military.  Moving to Victoria for Military relocation brings a regular influx of new families to the Greater Victoria area.

Another career choice that often requires employees to relocate with some frequency is the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.  The RCMP provides police service to several Greater Victoria municipalities and officers and their families may be moving to Victoria for RCMP relocation.

The opportunities to access education in Victoria are diverse, with a progressive public school system, several top-notch private schools, and a plethora of post-secondary choices, which may result in people moving to Victoria for education, either for their children or themselves.

During a health crisis, or for those people living with a chronic disease, Victoria offers a wide range of healthcare options that may not be readily available elsewhere, especially in the small towns or communities of rural BC. These people may find themselves moving to Victoria for healthcare that isn’t easily accessed in their hometowns.

Many people from across Canada (and further) move to Victoria to retire.  Often these folks have visited the city during holidays and been impressed with the quality of life (and the climate) offered in the Greater Victoria area.  This has led to the (somewhat exagerrated) reputation of Victoria being occupied largely by retirees.  Still, moving to Victoria for retirement is popular across Canada, and sometimes results in…

Moving to Victoria for family unity.  Sometimes people need (or want) to live near their families.  It’s not uncommon to hear of families in which part of the family has moved to Victoria, which leads to visits from the rest of the family, which leads to them moving to Victoria for family reasons (and because when they come for a visit they fall in love with the city)!

There are all sorts of reasons why people are moving to Victoria; the climate and amenities, because they’ve been transferred here, to find work or an education, to access healthcare, to retire or to be near family.  What are your reasons to consider living in Victoria?

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Ashley March 7, 2012 at 12:39 pm

When you finally decide to take the plunge and move to the BEST place on earth, be sure to check out http://www.victorianewbies.com to help get you settled – we are a growing network/society of women who are relatively new to Victoria, within the ages of 19-45. We participate in events around the CRD, visit restaurants, pubs, and of course have book clubs, crafting events etc.

Wes Niehaus April 6, 2012 at 11:15 am

I read Ashley’s take on moving to Victoria. I’m from Florida. Is is really true the rumors I’ve heard about how beautiful Victoria is and the mild climate? Would it be difficult for an American to find work in Victoria? How would one go about moving/immigrating to Victoria? After living in Florida much of my life I am ready for a big change.

Wes

admin April 9, 2012 at 7:30 am

The rumours are all true Wes – it’s gorgeous here! As for finding work, it probably depends on whether your skills are in demand, you should come for a visit and scout it out.

Jesse November 14, 2014 at 9:28 am

My wife and I are planning on relocating to Victoria once she is done with school. We are from the US and she will be an Medical Sonographer and I myself am a painter/tattoo artist. Now I am not worried about my job as much, but how is the healthcare job market like in Victoria…We love BC but worry about affording to live in Vancouver itself… and to be honest, Victoria and the island look so much more up our alley…Also being American, does anyone know how difficult it would be for us to move our family there. Anyone else have this experience?

LivingInVictoriaAdmin November 18, 2014 at 8:53 am

Hello Jesse,

We think you would love living in Victoria! Your wife should probably check that her credentials are valid in Canada and make some employment inquiries before you make the move.
As for Canadian immigration, things do change periodically, you can learn about who is eligible here: http://www.bcimmigration.com/articles/who-is-eligible.html
and about the new Express Entry system here: http://bcimmigrationnewsletter.com/

Tom November 22, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Hi,

we are planning to move to Victoria from Toronto. My question is about the house rental market. I tried to research the internet but it seamed to me that the availability is limited, especially on the house side. Our problem is, that we have two dogs, so we cannot go to an apartment. Could anyone let me know if I am facing a potential issue with finding a suitable rental? Also, I would appreciate if someone could point to a right source of information and recommend a rental agent.

Regards,

Tom.

LivingInVictoriaAdmin November 25, 2014 at 8:01 am

Hi Tom
Unfortunately there is no central registry or mls for rentals in Victoria. Single family rentals are handled either by the owner directly or through property management companies. You’ll need to contact each individual property management company or look at their web sites to see what’s available. A search of Victoria Property Management will give you the list. Other web sites to look at would be the local paper the Times Colonist, used Victoria and Kijji.

Sam March 17, 2016 at 8:38 am

My husband and I are sick of these NB harsh winters and are dreaming of life in victoria. My husband is an electrician. Are there many opportunities for electricians in the area ? Aldo my big concern is childcare. Does anyone know what we are looking at paying ?

{ 7 trackbacks }