Military Relocation – Victoria BC
Military relocation is a fact of life for those in the Canadian Forces. If you or your partner has chosen a career in the military inevitably you will need to move, perhaps many times depending on your particular circumstances. Victoria BC is home to CFB Esquimalt, and (if you are lucky) you might be posted here and want to buy a home in this lovely city. Or, if you are already living here, a military transfer may require you to sell your home quickly before your relocation.
One advantage of military relocation is that over time military people become practiced at the art of moving and all its associated tasks. As well, the Canadian military provides all kinds of support and information for people who are being relocated, so if you haven’t yet experienced a military move, there are resources you can utilize to ensure that your transfer is achieved efficiently and nothing is forgotten.
These resources include:
- The Canadian Forces Housing Agency (CHFA), the managing authority for DND housing. This agency operates, maintains and allocates roughly 14,000 Residential Housing Units at 32 sites across Canada;
- The Canadian Forces Integrated Relocation Program represents the Treasury Board Secretariat’s approved policy for CF members on relocation of their Dependants, Household Goods and Effects;
- The Lookout Newspaper is a weekly paper providing local and navy news to those posted to CFB Esquimalt;
- The Housing Services Centre (HSC) Esquimalt, which is responsible for housing in Esquimalt, located on beautiful Vancouver Island, 4 kilometres from downtown Victoria, and
- The Esquimalt Military Family Resource Centre, whose mission is: To provide programs and services that serve, involve and advocate for the military community and their families, and which address the unique challenges of the military family lifestyle and will result in an enhanced quality of life. Visit their website for more info.
The housing resources listed above are valuable to those military personnel who are looking for military housing. If your posting to CFB Esquimalt results in a need to buy a home in the Greater Victoria area you will need a professional real estate agent with experience helping military families. There are certain military approved suppliers of real estate services, who understand your need for an efficient plan whether you are buying or selling a home in Victoria, BC. Connecting with an Integrated Relocation Program (IRP) recommended real estate professional before your house hunting trip (HHT) will streamline your visit so your time isn’t wasted.
An approved realtor will work with you before your HHT to establish what kind of home you’re looking for, which communities you want to investigate, and the price range in which you are looking. They can even pre-book appointments to view properties that interest you and provide information about the local community.
Your military relocation to or from CFB Esquimalt in beautiful Victoria BC can be accomplished efficiently and quickly if you make use of the many services available to military personnel. Make sure to enlist the help of an IRP approved Real Estate Agent if you need to buy or sell a home; they understand the specific requirements of a military transfer.