In the Rockland neighborhood of Victoria you`ll find Langham Court Theatre. Originally the carriage house and barn of a home called The Laurels; it was built in 1889 for the Robert Ward family. Now it houses the Victoria Theatre Guild and Dramatic School and provides theatrical entertainment for people living in Victoria.
The buildings also served as the gymnasium for the Collegiate School for Boys, part of St. George`s School for Girls, a meeting hall, and home of the 1930 Victoria Operatic Society.
In 1938-40, the structures were reconfigured into a fully functioning theatre known as the Victoria Little Theatre and Dramatic School. A division saw part of the membership leave and form the Victoria Players`Guild in 1949, but the fractured group reunited in 1950 adopting the name Victoria Theatre Guild and Dramatic School and renaming the building The Langham Court Theatre. Their Mission Statement: “To foster and celebrate the art and practice of sustainable community theatre.”
Volunteers are the lifeblood of this community theatre, and there is a large contingent of people who contribute their time and talents. From the Board of Directors to the show producers, cast and crew and all the behind the scenes workers, Langham Court Theatre is a labor of love for many.
Almost 3,000 performances have been presented to over a quarter of a million patrons with the help of more than 27,000 volunteers since the inception of the Guild in 1929. Those are some impressive figures!
Langham Court Theatre looks forward to many more years of providing entertainment in Victoria, thanks to its dedicated members and supportive patrons.