Another valuable benefit of living in Victoria is the access to high quality educational programs. From kindergarten through all the stages of your life, in almost any field of learning, there is a school to teach you what you need to know.
You are sure to find an education that suits your needs in Victoria, whether you are looking for:
- A progressive public school system that offers both francophone and french immersion options, as well as religion-based and athletic specialty programs;
- Private schools with coed or gender–based programs from kindergarten through grade twelve;
- Distance education programs with flexible options for learning;
- Post secondary trade and technical schools;
- Adult or continuing education programs,
- Colleges, or
Victoria’s public school system offers, along with a comprehensive and progressive curriculum:
- Programs for both early (elementary school) and late (middle school) french immersion;
- Francophone studies;
- English as a second language (ESL) support within the classroom;
- Programs geared towards aboriginal students through Aboriginal Nations Education Division (ANED);
- Adult continuing education programs;
- Education for international students;
- A special education team that provides both direct and consultative services to students with special needs, and
- Programs geared towards high level athletics.
Several private schools in Victoria offer options for students based on differing criteria. There are faith-based schools like:
- St. Patrick`s Elementary;
- St. Andrews High School;
- Pacific Christian School (k-12), and
- Lakeview Christian School.
Gender-based schools include St. Margaret`s School for girls, and Glenlyon-Norfolk, which separates the boys and girls during classes within a co-ed school atmosphere.
Private boarding schools in the Greater Victoria area include:
- St. Michaels University School;
- Brentwood College;
- St. Margaret`s School;
- Glenlyon-Norfolk School;
- Dwight International School, and
- Shawnigan Lake School.
Post Secondary Education in Victoria BC
Post secondary trade and technical schools in Victoria run the gamut from hair design and aesthetics, to business college, to healthcare training, both traditional and alternative. You can train for a career in horticulture, the performing arts, driving big rigs, or counselling.
Camosun College is one of the largest post-secondary educators in Victoria, offering a wide range of programs including university transfer courses.
Royal Roads University is Canada`s University for Working Professionals, offering programs in:
- Business and Management;
- Conflict and Disaster Management;
- Environment and Sustainability;
- Leadership; Tourism and Hospitality, and
- Education Studies.
The University of Victoria is a comprehensive facility offering over 100 programs to 18000 students in day, evening and distance-education classes. Whether you are an undergraduate or graduate, or seeking continuing studies, distance learning or co-operative education, you`ll find a plethora of options to further your education at Uvic.
The choices in education for people who are living in Victoria are almost endless, and the city continues to add to the already comprehensive options available. The provincial government recently announced it will provide funding to build a new marine training centre at Camosun College. Whether you are seeking a good education for your children, to establish or further your career goals, or to continue your lifelong learning journey, you will almost certainly be able to find a school and program to suit you in Victoria.
Learn more in our Blog category: Education in Victoria