The Town of View Royal is centrally located in Greater Victoria, and borders Colwood, Langford, Highlands, Saanich and Esquimalt. Incorporated in 1988, the population of View Royal sits today at just over 8,000.
Coast Salish people lived here prior to Europeans who settled here starting in the 1850’s, when Dr. John Helmcken bought 640 acres from the Hudsons’s Bay Company to establish a farm to supply Fort Victoria. Historic sites that you can visit to learn about these early days include:
- Craigflower Manor and Schoolhouse – where programs run year round showcasing for schoolchildren, visitors and locals the details of day to day life as a settler in the late 1800’s. This two story farmhouse is the third oldest building in all of BC and was almost destroyed by fire in January of 2009, and
- Six Mile Pub – so named for it’s proximity to Victoria is the oldest continually operating pub in BC (established in 1855).
Nowadays View Royal is predominantly a residential community, and is divided into seven precincts based on factors like topography, transportation corridors, and the relative age of developed neighborhoods. These precincts are:
- Hospital, and
The Victoria General Hospital, the largest medical facility in Greater Victoria, is located in View Royal.The municipality has a fire department with both career and volunteer firefighters and policing is provided by the West Shore RCMP. There is a region-wide blue box recyclable collection program operated by the Capital Regional District and garbage and food waste are collected weekly by a company contracted to the Town of View Royal.
Housing in View Royal is diverse, and includes condo developments, multi-family and single family homes which range widely in price depending on location, age and condition. Whether a prospective home buyer is looking for that first home, moving up to a larger property or downsizing, they are sure to find something to suit them in View Royal. And everything here is within an easy commute to Victoria, for those who need to be close to the city.
As well as proximity to the city and all that it offers, View Royal boasts many opportunities for outdoor recreation, you might want tovisit:
- Thetis Lake Park – where you’ll find sandy beaches, perfect for a dip on a hot summer day, as well as an extensive network of hiking trails. The lake system, consisting of two lakes (Upper and Lower Thetis) connected by a narrow culvert passable by canoe or kayak, provides almost endless exploration of remote bays, beaches and small islands;
- Francis/King Regional Park – a beautiful woodland park with tons of trails including the Elsie King boardwalk, a 550 metre trail accessible to those with limited mobility, and a nature house featuring educational displays of the local flora and fauna;
- Portage Inlet – follow the Gorge waterway inland and you’ll discover this tranquil jewel, popular with canoers, kayakers and birdwatchers, and
- Mill Hill Regional Park – where you can hike through cool woodlands and climb to the summit of Mill Hill for spectacular views of Esquimalt Harbour and Victoria.
View Royal certainly fits the bill for many who want to be living in Victoria. This friendly community offers diverse options in housing, a lovely temperate climate so you can enjoy the many opportunities for outdoor recreation, and a quick commute to all that the City of Victoria has to offer. No wonder it’s such a popular municipality for homebuyers!