Many of our local farm markets only operate during the spring and summer but the Red Barn Farm Market has grown, over many years, into a diversified business that sells a lot more than just fresh, local produce (although they do that very well, indeed!). In fact, they now boast four locations across the Greater Victoria area. Locavores can buy almost any type of (locally produced) foodstuff at the Red Barn to satisfy their grocery needs.
I remember visiting the Red Barn as a child, choosing fresh veggies from their huge bins, and the fields behind the barn (where I assume much of the produce was grown back then). These days they source as many items as possible from local area farmers and small-scale food processers and their products include:
- Fresh fruits and veggies with a great selection of organics;
- Locally grown meats from farmers who follow sustainable farming practices (happy meat)
- Red Barn’s Own smokehouse meats and cheeses, which they make in their own smoker;
- Quality groceries, with an emphasis on organic and specialty products, and
- Freshly made sandwiches, soups and goodies in the full-service deli – come for groceries, stay for lunch!
Although the Red Barn has outgrown its origins as a simple farm market, it has retained that friendly market atmosphere and a commitment to bring fresh local food to people living in Greater Victoria. Visit any of the Red Barn Market’s four locations to feed your 100 mile diet!