Victoria BC was made for cycling! Diverse topography and a mild climate that allows for year round cycling means that Victoria is popular with those who like to get around on two wheels.
In fact, Victoria is considered the cycling capital of Canada, and hosts Canada’s biggest cycling celebration, the Victoria International Cycling Festival. For 2012, the festival runs from June 1-24, with pedal-pushers from all over converging on the city to enjoy dozens of different cycling events and activities including:
- The Russ Hays Time Trial, a 5km race along Victoria’s scenic oceanfront on Dallas Road. Known as the “Race of Truth”, it pits competitors against the clock along the course at breakneck speeds of up to 60 km/hr. Whether you are a beginner or expert cyclist, this event challenges each racer.
- The Condo Group – Bastion Square Grand Prix has been a staple in B.C.’s cycling history for 19 years. Past winners have included several Olympians — and Victorians. Racing on a short, fully enclosed 900 metre loop through Victoria’s historic Bastion Square, this European-style event features thrills and spills. Watch out for the infamous “Crash Corner” at Yates and Wharf Streets and witness the “prime” and finish line sprints at Fort and Langley Streets. Thousands of spectators line the route each year to watch riders reach speeds of 65 km/hr, side to side, wheel to wheel.
- The Hotel Grand Pacific Harbour Sprint Series returns to the Victoria International Cycling Festival in 2012! Watch local and international favourites compete in a series of leg-tearing ¼ mile drag races in front of the picturesque Provincial Legislature.
- Jumpship 2012 showcases the worlds best freeride mountain bike riders competing in Victoria’s Inner Harbour. This exciting event features intrepid riders who will battle for cash and bragging rights on the surface of a floating barge in Canada’s most beautiful city.
- The 2012 Victoria Gran Fondo is where experienced cyclists put all those weekend rides to good use; a full day in the saddle touring Southern Vancouver Island. This year we are introducing segment timing so you can separate time spent at support stations from time spent riding. It may take a little longer to get final results out, but will provide a more accurate view of your efforts.
- The Ryder Hesjedal’s Tour de Victoria-Powered by GoodLife Fitness is a world class, fully supported mass participation road cycling event that offers all levels of cyclist the same cycling experience that Tour de France heros like Ryder Hesjedal get to experience. Participants can choose from three distances-140km, 100km, and 50km.
- The Family Bike Festival invites everyone out for fun events geared towards family cycling. Events include a bike rodeo, training wheel freedom, family bike equipment showcase, on site bike mechanic, helmet fitting, learn to play bike polo, mini races, ‘bling your bike’ contest and much more.
Cycling is just one of many outdoor activities for which Victoria is famous. Come ride with thousands of other like minded cyclists, and see why Victoria is the “Cycling Capital of Canada”.