Now that Halloween has passed, many of us who lead busy lives check the calendar and start planning for the next big holiday… yes, I’m already thinking about Christmas. My apologies to those who would rather not think about it yet. I love the entire holiday season, and there are lots of us who do, whether they are celebrating Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or whatever. People who are living in Victoria love a holiday, and enjoy exchanging gifts with friends and family.
These days, gift giving has become so onerous to some that they resort to that most impersonal of presents – the gift card. While I’ll admit to occasionally purchasing a gift card for someone who is really hard to buy for or who really needs something that I can’t choose for them, I don’t like to do it.
There’s so much more pleasure in watching someone open a gift you’ve carefully chosen for them, especially if it’s unique and handmade. That’s why I like to shop for holiday gifts at the local craft fairs; there are plenty of them happening all around Victoria from now until Christmas. There’s bound to be one near you!
Here are a few of my favourites:
- Calico Christmas Arts and Crafts Show – 90 juried exhibitors, two gyms full of unique and contemporary handmade treasures!
- Pacific Christian School
- Nov 8-9
- 38th Annual Christmas Craft Fair – Juan De Fuca Arts and Crafts Guild with baking, quilting, knitting, purses, jams and preserves, woodwork, toys, Christmas decorations and jewellery.
- St. Joseph’s Elementary School
- Nov 9-10
- Vintage Holiday Fair – 35 stalls of vintage and retro holiday decor plus clothing, jewelry, accessories & more!
- Fairfield United Church
- All Sooke Arts and Crafts Christmas Show – featuring quilting, knitting, needlecraft, eggshell art, jewellery, soap, wooden toys, home preserves, kelp baskets, leather craft, pottery and more.
- Sooke Community Hall
- Nov 15-17
- Out of Hand Christmas Craft Fair – a prestigious artisan fair presenting fine crafts, artisan food and one-of-a-kind fashions.
- Crystal Gardens
- Nov 29-Dec 1
At this rate I’ll have all my holiday shopping done with plenty of time to spare.