As well as clubs, concerts and theatre productions, Victoria provides a calendar full of annual events, festivals and celebrations for the entertainment of visitors and residents. Of course people who are living in Victoria reap the greatest rewards – they are able to take in all the festivities!
Highlights of the spring include:
- Greater Victoria Performing Arts Festival (March 27 – May 11) – Applaud the future of entertainment!!! 5,000 of Victoria’s best young performing musicians, singers, dancers and actors perform daily throughout the festival at venues all around Victoria The program highlights include eight honours concerts in music theatre, strings, piano, vocal, dance and choral as well as the Roberto and Mary Wood Scholarship concerts. Visit www.gvpaf.org for details;
- Northwest Guitar Festival (April 9-11, 2010) – Western Canada’s finest artists, composers and teachers gather to celebrate the diversity of the guitar in one of North America’s most beautiful cities. Three days of entertainment including concerts, classes, lectures, and the Northwest Competition! Special Guest – Pepe Romero. For more information: www.vcm.bc.ca/009_VictoriaConse/2600_NWGuitarFest.html
- Fairfield Artist Studio Tour (April 24-26) – Enjoy this free weekend showcasing the creative talent in Fairfield. Tour over 50 artist studio locations as well a group show and art preview at Fairfield Community Centre and Fairfield United Church. You will need both days to view them all. Maps are available. Visit www.fairfieldcommunity.ca to find out more.
- 6th Annual Tartan Parade (May 15) & 73rd Victoria Highland Games and Celtic Festival (May 22 & 23) – The Tartan Parade of local and visiting pipe bands and highland dancers is highlighted by Celtic singing, piping and country dancing. All this is in preparation for the Celtic Festival and the 72nd Highland Games scheduled the next weekend at Topaz Park (Blanshard and Finlayson). Activities include dance, bagpipe and drum competitions, pipe bands, caber throwing, heavy event championship, historical display, entertainment, and Celtic food. See www.victoriahighlandgames.com for further info.
- Island Farms Victoria Day Parade (May 24) – Location(s): Downtown Victoria along Douglas Street. Victoria’s largest parade event – marching bands, floats, clowns, etc. Over 120,000 spectators watch this popular annual event in person and on television. Entertainment for the whole family.
And we’re not even into June yet! For a more complete listing of entertainment and events, visit http://www.salescene.com/5events.html