Victoria BC has a solid reputation as a tourist destination and because of this, there are many attractions and activities that people who are living in Victoria can enjoy (almost) whenever they please. If you are thinking of moving to Victoria you can rest assured that there are plenty of interesting things to do in Victoria BC.
Some of the most famous tourist attractions (enjoyed by residents) include:
- Butchart Gardens – Now a designated National Historic Site of Canada, offers 22ha (55 acres) of wonderful floral display in what used to be an old quarry just a short drive from the city.
- The Royal BC Museum – For those who were lucky enough to grow up in Victoria BC (like me), the museum was a regular destination for both school field trips and visits with the family. The amazing exhibits and educational programs remained etched in my childhood memories.
- The Inner Harbour and Parliament Buildings – Victoria’s picturesque inner harbour is overlooked by BC’s Parliament Buildings, The Royal BC Museum and the grand old Empress Hotel. On a summer night, the twinkling lights and soft sea breeze entice tourists and residents alike to stroll along the waterfront, soaking up the atmosphere.
- Beacon Hill Park – This 24.8-ha (62 acre) park was established in 1882 near downtown Victoria and generations of children have fond memories of exploring the park, with its playground, petting zoo, wading pool and beautiful gardens and lakes.
Of course this just begins to touch on the myriad attractions and activities available to people who are living in Victoria. Many of the most interesting things to do in Victoria involve the great outdoors; the surrounding natural beauty and plethora of parks means Victorians could spend a big chunk of their recreational time exploring our:
- Regional Parks;
- Provincial Parks, and
- National Parks
If you prefer to get your kicks indoors, there are many things to do in Victoria that are unique to this city. Besides the usual shopping malls, theatres and recreation centres, you can visit local tourist attractions like:
- Pacific Undersea Gardens;
- Miniature World;
- Victoria Butterfly Gardens, or
- CFB Esquimalt Naval & Military Museum
Many of these attractions participate in the annual ‘Be a Tourist in Your Own Hometown’ promotion that runs each year in March, when tourist crowds are sparse. One reasonably priced ticket gains you admission into a number of venues.
In short, there are so many things to do in Victoria BC that if you can’t find something that appeals to you, well, you had better check your pulse! Just kidding, but it’s almost impossible to be bored around here.
Learn more in our Blog category: Things to do in Victoria